This race was at George Wyth State Park, just outside Waterloo. I'd never been to this area before really and it was quite a bit different than I expected. It was very marshy / swampy and had ponds all over the place. There were big sand pits, single-track trail right next to the water and even a few tree canopy tunnels. XC-3 even got to do a nearly respectable length race here at two laps and 45-minutes ride time. Unfortunately for Corrine, Women XC-3 was only running one lap for half the time of the men. It's hard to pick a favorite course so far this year but this one would be near the top.
The management was really great and had all sorts of food and beverage available. A local coffee roaster brought out a big Igloo cooler. It was, amazingly, not regular coffee but rather a cooler full of espresso with some milk and ice thrown in it. Perfect! I hadn't had espresso for a while. There was also a local brewery and pizza/pasta house handing out free food.
Speaking of food, I was trying a new nutrition strategy today which was to consume as many carbohydrate calories as possible. This is an undertaking from me since I'm rarely actually hungry. I had several packs of shot-bloks before the race even started and then went straight into full-calorie SoBE drinks right after the race ended. I felt the best I've felt after a race since probably April or so. We've been using a nutrition coach lately as well, and the general learning we've done there is that our calorie counts are just too low. Onto more eating!
We hung around for a while to wait on results/awards and watch XC 1/2 start.
Corrine came away with a 3rd pa
And Cody with second.









No comments:
Post a Comment