Sunday, February 3, 2013

USVI Day 9 (Videos added)


It's our last full day here so we all got up early to catch a sunrise. There was a nice little road which went nearly to the water and then a somewhat (in the dark anyway) sketchy path which wound out onto a small peninsula which offered a great panoramic view.






After patient waiting, we start to get some good light on the horizon. 



I'm still slightly perplexed by the light and clouds here. Things were all setup to absolutely explode but this was about the best of it. No problem, it was still a beautiful morning and getting to sit outside before dark to watch the day start was extra recharging. 


Out on the peninsula, we saw a couple of these large caterpillars.



Hiking back down, I saw soo many places where I should have filled my feet with needles on the way up but I missed them all - only caught two on the way down. 





Today we snorkeled Little Lamshier Bay. This place was great! It had lots of larger creatures such as rays, turtles, and a good size nurse shark. The reef sort of made a C shape and connected to another second, nearby bay. I've got some videos for this that I'll add later.










More Jeeps...lots of Jeeps.





Here are some of the stairs we take up and down every time we leave the house. What you see here is about 3/4 of the trip down to the main boardwalk path, which then has another flight up to the house. 



Here's the kitchen/dining area of the house. 


It doesn't really have windows - just tilting slats with bug screening. It was pretty fun living with this sort of setup. You can always see outside and the breeze blows through most of the time. 



Not a bad view from the pool either! We didn't spend a lot of time in here but it was a nice change once in a while.



Toward evening, we hiked out to Drunk Bay. This bay is the last part of the island facing toward Africa (I believe?) so the waves coming in here are carrying almost anything dropped into the ocean offshore. We had some information indicating that people build statues out of the refuse on the beach. 

We met some of the local donkeys as we arrived at the first beach on the route. They were heading back up toward the road.






I did not really envision the statues looking like this. They are made mostly of the dead coral, though some incorporate sea junk for accessories.



It was also somewhat creepy that they were everwhere. 





The ocean here was far more violent that anywhere else we've been so far. Big waves coming in pretty quickly. Combined with the stiff breeze and ominous sky, it was a powerful place to stand a while and soak it in.




We hiked back out around Salt Pond.



Rare animal sighting - there was a miniature(?) white-tail deer lurking in the bushes. It is possibly a bush-deer.


No comments:

Post a Comment