Thursday, November 29, 2012

USVI day-1 (Traveling)

To the USVI! Picked up Nathan and Sarah at 4:00am, slightly bleary-eyed (I usually don't get up for work until 5:00). The airport was far less busy than expected and we were able to breeze through with plenty of time left to sit at the gate.

See what I meant earlier? This is over a week worth of clothes for me in a carry-on with room to spare. I even brought stuff for running as well as some long-sleeved shirts that I didn't wear. We did need a checked bag though for all the snorkeling gear as well as some food that we brought. 



All the people off to the right here were part of a wedding party heading to Sandals Jamaica. I couldn't help but wonder if they had only chosen the location because Michael makes a big deal about it on The Office tv-show. I also gathered that they had already started drinking a fair amount - hopefully that works out well?





Our first plane - a small connector heading to Charlotte, NC. There was a fair amount of caulking peeling off the seams. Nathan seems pleased.


Seems to have engine(s) installed well?



Time for a nap! (didn't happen:)



I don't have any pictures exiting the plane on St. Thomas, but that was truly an experience. Unloading (from a 767 keep in mind) was done out on the tarmac with portable stair-cases. Then everybody just wanders around toward the general direction of the airport, walking around other planes which are running - it was great! Then we make our way inside, where there are people handing out free rum shots while welcoming us to the island.

Here is the baggage claim. What you can't see is that this whole area is open-air. Behind me there is no wall - just a great view of outside. The check-in area for tickets was the same way. I was surprised how many buildings are made that way here, keeps everything nice and simple.




Waiting for Nathan to (hopefully) come back with the rental vehicle. The last time we saw him, he got into a gray minivan. While waiting here, we noticed how the traffic in general is very different. Almost every vehicle, even new ones, is side-swiped on one or both sides. The reason for this became apparent - they run three lanes of traffic in the same road space that we run two!




Rolling in the jeep, exploring side streets and back-lot neighborhoods. 



Here we are being loaded onto the car barge. I had no idea what to expect here. It worked really well - back on and drive off. There were several spotters directing everyone into the most efficient arrangement. 



Here we are "driving" in the Caribbean Sea, or so the Garmin thinks. Incredibly this unit understood the use of car barges and even had prompts like "load ferry".



After a bunch of driving and the car ferry, we've arrived on St. John. Finally time for some supper at one of many local places. Much more to come the next day after sleep.


Now to make a bed and catch about 12hrs of zzzs.

No comments:

Post a Comment