Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Oven

In an appropriate coincidence, we've had several days of heat-index between 95°-102° and our house air-conditioning also died. On Monday, I found the outdoor unit making groaning noise with no cooling fan running. The compressor was still running (though making a pulsing noise) but overheated and shut itself off after a few more minutes. I poked the fan blade with a screwdriver and it took off running again. Motor-start capacitor, piece of cake. It was too late in the day to ship one overnight anymore so I grabbed a big box-fan and laid it on top of the unit. It was pulling a good amount of cooling air but the compressor still sounded horrible. To avoid $$ damage, I ended up just killing the breakers.

Capacitor fail:




We hit a high temp. of 82° on the main floor for a couple days which was livable.



The upper floor was a different story - being 96°+, we just didn't go up there anymore until Thursday. I got a new start capacitor installed Wed. night and the house took about 6-7 hours to cool down again. Everything is running well now.


The cat was very certain that she wasn't going to make it.




In need of some conditioning before sleeping, we took a long walk out to Pella's soccer-complex. It turned out to be about four miles. 




Found a small bunny on the way back. 


Speaking of walking - got some sweet new OluKai flip-flops. I've walked 7 miles in the last two days on these and my feet never noticed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment