Found some pictures that I'd almost forgotten about, involving bike component upgrades. About the time I was switching the studded tires back off my mtb, I was doing some shopping around to replace these tired old Maxxis Ridgelines which came with the bike.
Went with an Ardent 2.25 front and Crossmark rear.
Then the next issue was brakes. In this case, too much braking - the front one was getting stuck on at maybe 10-20% force and once stuck, would stay that way the rest of a ride. It made for good training, but less fun. I would have just rebuilt the caliper but, when looking for parts online, discovered that the pistons in these low-end Avid brakes are some sort of bake-lite composite which absorbs the fluid over time, causing them to permanently swell. Incredibly craptastic I thought. Replace with something better then became the answer.
Something (hopefully) better arrived in the mail. These have aluminum pistons if nothing else.
Installed and fully bled, they work great. The new system has so much power that I may regret changing the rotor to a bigger size. It's so powerful now that I feel like a lot of modulation has been lost. It'll probably still be o.k. - just one of those things that requires getting used to.
No comments:
Post a Comment