Spooky Cross has changed a lot - it got new management last year and now this year get a brand new venue. Previously run on the Living History Farms property ie: forest, I was skeptical about the move to a park in Altoona. It turned out to be pretty well arranged and there's a lot of property here.
It was a two-day race and it's always fun to see what changes from one day to the next. A quick rundown on that would be that day-1 had no large barriers, no sand, no off-camber sections, and huge amounts of riding in a straight line on pavement. Basically designed for all the road-racers to get their fix on a course that's not so hard. Day 2 saw the addition of a couple pairs of max-height barriers, some extra tech. from hill switchbacks and a large reduction in the road riding by removal of an entire section that did nothing but add distance. Much better - I'm guessing there were at least a few verbalized complaints about the first day's arrangement. It was all good in any case.
Myself staged. This event used rank staging so I was in the 3rd row on day one and 2nd row on day two. As far as riding goes, I had a much better 2nd day. On day-1, my legs felt perfect for the first lap and then were suddenly so shot that I felt like I had to cut my speed in half. The next day, they felt great the whole time, weird.
This is the Altoona Aquatic Center, which is technically the property this whole thing is on I think.
Corrine doing some warming up.
Staged and ready to roll. These events were running tight - almost no time for pre-riding between races.
Corrine currently beating some Nebraskans -
There was some equipment carnage early-on. This one was a tubular tire which rolled completely off the rim (these are supposed to be glued on).
Hecklers.
Corrine doing some crushing--
And a finish on the podium to round out the day!
No comments:
Post a Comment