Corrine and Cody registered for the whole Elkhart Time Trial Series this year. I'd never actually been to a time trial before so, other than a basic understanding of how it worked, I wasn't sure what this really looked like. It would stand to reason that a person could get desensitized to seeing blingy hardware rolling around all over the place but this time trial crew takes it to a whole other level. It's amazing the things that are done to save a couple tenths of a second on 20 minutes. For example, a skin-suit in itself is not fast enough but it also should have a golf-ball-like texture on the surface of the fabric.
It was a pretty good time. After wondering if we'd ever see 60° again, it was a great thing to stand outside and see blue sky without needing gloves and a hat. There was a decent little breeze blowing which appears to increase everyone's times. This is an out-and-back course which is about 3.5mi each direction. You can't go fast enough with the wind behind you (return leg) to make up for how much the wind slowed you down in the first half. People were coming back through the finish over 30mph though. I did see one guy with a cape on his back that was supposed to turn into a sail when the wind was behind him. I do not know how that worked out (illegal I would think?).
Apologies to the guy on the far right below - I did pin your number plate on with a large wrinkle in the center and it may have slowed you down. While I do have more than one season of experience pinning plates onto other people at the last minute before races (thanks tobacco chewing guy at Night-Cap), I'd still consider myself an amateur.
After getting the lay of the land, we unloaded and setup. We brought a trainer to warm up on (so pro right?).
That's pretty much where the start is located. The road was not closed to car traffic and the race used both lanes.
This series appears to have a really big turnout!
Cody won the door-price raffle which was a fairly $$ aero TT helmet. You can tell he's excited to go.
Corrine out of the "gate".
Next stop: Camp Ingwanis IMBCS #2, a little over a week away!
No comments:
Post a Comment