Sunday, December 2, 2012

USVI Day 4

We awoke to the tail end of a few showers. It was pretty normal to have sprinkles every night but they were almost always during the night. Not a big deal either way as they never last long. Exciting plans for this morning - we'd soon be heading to Ms. Lucy's for brunch. I'm not sure that I've ever actually had brunch before and here I was, someone who doesn't really like seafood, about to try brunch on a Caribbean island. 




I'm still amazed at how lush and jungle-like this place is. It reminds me of Lost or Farcry and nearly looks artificial at times. 




I was surprised to not see more motorcycles here. It seems like the ideal vehicle - uses less of the $5 fuel, easy to maneuver on narrow roads, and wouldn't balk at climbing hills (was pretty sure our jeep might cough up a lung every day). The weather is always nice so it would never be bad riding. 



When I mention that jeeps are everywhere, I'm really not joking. For example, there are three just right here. I think there was a grand vitara and 4-runner which also parked on this street, otherwise just jeeps (didn't count a couple vehicles which appeared to be movement-challenged).






At Ms. Lucy's, we got a good spot near the water and seem to have beaten the brunch  rush. I forgot to mention that this is also a jazz-brunch so there was live music most of the time we were there.




So any concerns I had about the number of crustaceans I'd be eating were quickly crushed under the weight of this amazing breakfast burger. It's even better than it looks - there's an "over-easy" egg under the bun top. Solid.

Eggs-benedict which looks amazing.




This is a bush-cat. Bush-cats are all over the place and generally well liked by residents because rodent control is important on an island. In keeping with the ultra laid-back tempo at which this place operates, even this cat has found a way to lounge while cleaning himself.



A herd of sheep was traveling somewhere on our way back to the house. Most of the animals seem well used to traffic and move over to the shoulder on their own.





We hiked to Little Cinnamon for a chance at seeing some airplane wreckage. This was located down a neat little path which weaved in and out right next to the surf.



I've never had Presidente before but it was pretty decent as lagers go.



Plenty of shelving here.




We saw this great rainbow while we were coincidentally next to a lookout point. I believe this is overlooking Maho Bay.




Everybody is friendly here!



This small herd of goats was mulling around on the side of the road and promptly hopped up this sheer rock as we approached.

No comments:

Post a Comment